The holidays bring out the best in people. It’s the season of warmth, friendship, and giving not just gifts, but support to your community. What better way to do that than by shopping local this holiday season! Not sure where to start? We’ve put together the Ultimate Holiday Shopping Guide for Utah Locals featuring some of our favorite shops, restaurants, small businesses, and markets that you can support close to home.
For the coffee lover:
Coffee is the real gift that keeps on giving. Pick up some locally roasted beans and your friends and family can enjoy their favorite brew every day! Don’t forget to grab some of their merch like a branded mug before you check out.
- Publik Coffee Roasters – With a variety of locally roasted beans and several locations to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect coffee blend at Publik. Our first choice is Miles Goodyear’s Cabin, which is consistently delicious.
- Blue Copper – Stop by Blue Copper Coffee Room or Blue Copper 2000 to buy some of the best coffee in Salt Lake City. Can’t make it? They offer shipping, local delivery, and a COFFEE SUBSCRIPTION.
- 3 Cups – Beans locally roasted in Holladay plus baked goods and gelato made in-house.
- Alpha coffee – Donates to deployed troops and military charities each time you purchase and besides great coffee has a single origin cocoa that is a must try!
- Caffe Ibis – An award winning “Green Business” in Logan, UT, that focuses on Triple Ceritified, Organic, Fair Trade, and Smithsonian “Bird-Friendly” coffee. Their artisan roasts can be ordered online or found in stores like Harmon’s and Whole Foods.
- Grounds for Coffee – With 11 locations, Grounds for Coffee has been serving local Utahns high-quality coffee since 1991. Stop by one of their retail locations or order online for a craft coffee experience at home!
- Rimini Coffee – Housed in a historic warehouse, Rimini Coffee roasts hand-crafted coffee in small batches on a smokeless roaster for maximum sustainability. Order beans and their spiced chai blend for dirty chai goodness in your own kitchen.
- Kahve Cafe – Stop in for a full Turkish coffee experience and amazing food or schedule a “Cafe at Home” experience for brunch with friends and learn to read each other’s coffee.
Spas and self-care:
Everyone needs a little time to themselves, and what better way to get that than with a little pampering? Whether it’s a full spa day or new skincare, you’re sure to find ways to treat your loved ones (or yourself) at these local shops!
- Basalt Day Spa – This wellness boutique and spa on 900 South in Salt Lake City has everything you’re looking for in a day of self-care. Schedule a massage or facial or pick up a gift certificate for a friend.
- 801 Spa and Beauty – Located in Millcreek, 801 Spa and Beauty offers a variety of services including lash extensions and facials.
- Batch Twenty-One – Handcrafted skincare for men and women (or any of us who just like beer) formulated by a chemist with a passion for brewing craft beer. Grab some natural products made with hemp and hops for everyone on your list.
- Cosset bath and body – Shop online or stop at Trolley Square for amazing bath bombs, body scrubs, lotions, and gift sets.
- Harmony Massage – Get the perfect massage at Harmony Massage in Cottonwood Heights. They offer several styles of massage and times ranging from 60 to 180 minutes. Check them out for some deep relaxation.
- The Scientist Company – Handmade artisanal soaps, candles, and hair care made by actual scientists that are sure to please everyone.
- The Spirit Goat – Goat’s milk soaps and lotions along with other bath products and balms handcrafted in Logan, Utah. Check out their seasonal offerings for the holidays!
- Purring Buddha – Vegan, natural, and eco-friendly artisan body products and bath bombs from a company that supports animal rescue efforts. Stop in to the shop in person if you can because everyone there is very friendy and alongside the bath products they sell crystals, candles, and jewelry, and offer tarot readings some weekends.
For Vintage Vibes:
We all have that friend that scours the shops for perfect secondhand vintage items (or maybe that friend is you). Get them a gift you know they will love by checking out all that’s available at these local shops offering hand-selected vintage items.
- Abode Vintage – A super fun selection of classic and playful vintage pieces is always available with Abode Vintage. Check them out on Saturdays at their store front or shop online through their Etsy shop.
- Copperhive Vintage – Such a cute shop run by amazing people. With vintage clothes as well as home goods, toys, and accessories, you’ll find treasures hidden in every corner at Copperhive no matter the season.
- The Green Ant – Does someone on your list love mid-century style? The Green Ant has a continually changing inventory of vintage mid-century modern furniture. If you love it, buy it, because it certainly won’t stay there long.
- The Village Vintage Interiors – The Village is host to a variety of local vintage vendors based in Utah. You can find their shop in Sugarhouse where there’s never a shortage of the vintage styles you’re looking for. They sell home goods, clothes, furniture, art, and so much more. It’s the perfect place to hunt for timeless, heirloom quality gifts.
- Vantage – Here you’ll find some of the coolest, hand-picked vintage clothes in Utah. They always have awesome T-shirts, flannels, and that perfect pair of jeans.
Where you’ll find local artists, makers, and vendors:
If you really want to support your thriving local community, buying locally designed and handmade items is the way to go. The following shops house a variety of vendors, artists, and crafters that work and make right in your area.
- Artique – This eclectic little shop in Kamas offers handcrafted and seasonal items made by locals that are sure to be the perfect gift. Make all your artsy friends happy by shopping for them here.
- Salt and Honey – Now with three locations, Salt and Honey is an amazing maker’s market that gives independent artists, crafters, jewelers, and vintage collectors a space to sell their products year round. They always have amazing goods and art, but they are especially decked out for the holidays with even more vendors. Be sure to check them out and support local before the season ends.
- The Hive Market – Local independent businesses and makers are featured monthly at The Hive Market in Trolley Square. Shop here for vintage and handcrafted goods and apparel in a really fun location.
- Joy Craft and Design – With its location near Zion National Park as its inspiration, Joy Craft and Design focuses on handmade, local, curated art and gifts. You can find their nature-inspired products on their website as well as in-store.
- Red Kiln – Find beautiful ceramics for everyone on your list at Red Kiln Pottery. They have a gallery of functional and sculptural ceramic goods made by local artists. Lean in to completely handmade gifts that will be enjoyed for years to come.
For the Foodie:
Who doesn’t love amazing food? Give your favorite people something to indulge in that they will truly enjoy. Whether you pick up these locally crafted products or a gift card to a high-end restaurant, good eats are always a perfect gift.
- Beehive Cheese – Award-winning, artisanal cheese made in a creamery in Northern Utah. Do not miss it for your charcuterie board.
- Firebirds Chile Co – Hot sauce and cocktail mixers using chiles that are flame roasted in small batches. Bring some heat this holiday season with Firebirds Chile Co.
- Normal – With two locations, pints in stores, and a monthly pint club, you can definitely find the perfect gift for your ice cream obsessed relative. Unconventional, but delicious flavors change monthly, but some favorites are always available at stores near you.
- Trash Nuts – Pick up some smoked almonds for stocking stuffers or for a snack plate at holiday gatherings!
- Veneto – Excellent Italian restaurant in Salt Lake City offering Northern Italian cuisine. Make a reservation for a holiday outing or purchase a gift card to use any time of year.
- Les Madeleines – Don’t miss the perfect French crossaint, macarons, or their famous kouign amann. Order ahead for holiday pickup!
- Provisions – This modern American restaurant focuses on seasonal, locally sourced ingredients. Buy a gift card or make a reservation for your holiday party.
- Pirate 0’s – Fun, imported foods in a gourmet market setting right in Draper! Check out their holiday treats from around the world.
- Caputo’s – Amazing gourmet food and chocolate from around the world. Caputo’s never disappoints and they have gift collections they have put together with their own selections of the best foods from their market.
If you’re obsessed with chocolate like we are, don’t hesitate to find the perfect bar for everyone you love with our favorite locally crafted chocolate companies.
- Ritual – Sustainably sourced, high-quality craft chocolate made in Heber, Utah. Pick up a beautifully packaged bar as a gift or some of their amazing drinking chocolate.
- Amano – Artisan chocolate made in small batches on vintage equipment in Orem, Utah.
- The Chocolate Conspiracy – Not only do they offer delicious chocolate bars, but you can order cacao powder, butter, nibs, and beans in bulk from their website. The person who’s really into chocolate will be really into this.
- Solstice – Award-winning chocolate using single-origin cacao from around the world.
- Millcreek Cacao – Millcreek Cacao makes impressive chocolate by working directly with growers for their “Farm to Bar” process.
Brews and Spirits:
Utah is home to some amazing breweries and distilleries. Don’t miss out on giving an elevated drinking experience as a gift for the people you know would appreciate it.
- Bitters Lab – This women-owned company makes a variety of cocktail bitters using fresh, local ingredients and offers virtual cocktail workshops.
- Dented Brick Distillery – This Utah distillery makes award-winning spirits using their on-site artesian well water. Pick up some amazing rum, gin, vodka, or whiskey depending on your preferences.
- The Hammered Copper – The Hammered Copper is a black and female-owned mobile bartender service. Choose from several event packages for your upcoming events!
- The Hive Winery – This boutique winery specializes in fruit wines, honey wines, hard ciders, and spirits. Grab a bottle from their selection for a unique drinking experience.
- Holystone Distilling – Schedule a tour or tasting with Holystone Distilling or pick up one of their small-batch, luxury spirits.
- New World Distillery – New World Distillery offers a variety of amazing craft spirits. We’d recommend their Oomaw Gin that comes in one of the most beautiful bottles on liquor store shelves.
- Waterpocket Distillery – This Utah-based craft distillery that focuses on recreating old botanical liquers as well as fashioning new ones.
- Bewilder Brewing – Bewilder Brewing makes craft beer and handmade sausages. Check them out next time you’re in Salt Lake City.
- TF Brewing – Specializing in German style beer making processes, Templin Family Brewing has an amazing selection. If you’re into hazy beers, we’d recommend Wicked Sea Party.
- Wasatch Brewery – Stop by one of several brew pub locations to pick up some of their fantastic beers and grab a bite while you’re at it. Many of their beers can also be found in liquor stores or grocery stores in Utah.
- Squatters – With award-winning beer and a variety of IPAs, Squatters is sure to please. Check out their Hazy Hops Rising for a smooth drinking experience.
- Beehive Distilling – Beehive Distilling aims for high-quality spirits made in small batches. They have amazing botanical gin options and organic vodka that is perfect in all your favorite cocktails.
For the Crafter:
Some of us were born to make things by hand and can’t get enough of yarns, fabrics, and other materials. Maybe that person is you, or maybe it’s your best friend, but whoever the crafter is you’re shopping for, you’re sure to find some amazing goods at these shops. Not sure what they like best? Pick up a gift card! Give them the chance to make the sweater, dress, quilt, or art piece of their dreams.
- Blazing Needles – Step into everyone’s favorite local yarn store for some of the highest quality yarn you can buy as well as knitting supplies and classes.
- Clever Octopus – For the crafter with sustainability at heart, the nonprofit Clever Octopus is the perfect place to go. Here, thrifted and donated art and craft supplies are up for resale. This keeps materials from ending up in the landfill and gives them another life.
- Harmony – This cute little shop is the perfect place to find yarn, fabric, and unique gifts in Provo.
- Willow Hill Yarn Company – Located in Gardner Village, Willow Hill has a selection of high quality yarns and offers a monthly club with yarn, projects, and knitting notions!
- Pine Needles Quilt and Fabric store – This adorable fabric store has a wide selection of fabrics for quilting as well as embroidery and cross-stitch projects and materials.
For the person who likes handpicked clothes and accessories, you can pick up some of the high-end goods available at these local shops.
- The Stockist – This men and women’s clothing store really leans in to high-quality and fashion. Everything here is well made, functional, and beautiful. It’s one of our favorite places to shop or drool over whatever new thing they brought in.
- Koo de Ker – Lean into effortless style with the fashion aware pieces you’ll find at Koo de Ker and don’t miss their home goods and accessories.
For the Book Lover:
Stephen King said, “Books are uniquely portable magic.” If you or someone you love would agree, a stop at a bookstore for holiday gifts may be in order. Here are some of the best you’ll find in Utah. Give the gift of an education in empathy or adventure in imagination this holiday season.
- The Book Garden – This book shop in Bountiful has a great selection and a monthly book club option!
- The King’s English Bookshop – Here, books are tucked into every nook for the cutest little bookshop experience. The King’s English has a fantastic selection to choose from in store and can order almost any book in for pickup within a couple of days.
- Central Book Exchange – Founded in 1968, Central Book Exchange is a Sugar House staple. Bring in books for points that can go towards other books in store. Find the hidden gem you’ve been looking to gift the reader in your life.
- Lucky Penny Publications – This local publishing company has a variety of children’s books that focus on nature and our National Parks.
- Weller Book Works – This bookstore in Trolley Square was originally founded by Gus Weller in 1929. They sell both new and used books and have a rare book room upstairs with some astounding pieces.
- Ken Sanders Rare Books – Ken Sanders Rare Books is an antiquarian bookshop offering collectible and rare books on many subjects as well as art, photographs, and postcards.
- Golden Braid Books – Conscious living is the focus of this Utah bookstore. Here, you’ll find books and gifts to aid in self-discovery and spirituality as well as education on current issues. Schedule a tarot reading or stop into the Oasis Cafe that is housed in the same building.
- Under the Umbrella Bookstore – This brand new bookstore serves the LGBTQIA+ community in Salt Lake City. It’s a safe space for queer folk and offers books highlighting queer voices and the queer experience around the world.
- Marissa’s Books – Discover a huge selection of new books at this independent bookshop. Stop into the storefront in Millcreek or order online.
- Black Cat Comics – Black Cat Comics buys and sells comic books and has the largest selection of back issues you’ll find in the Salt Lake Area.
- 9th and 9th Book and Music Gallery – This great little shop with a cool vibe buys and sells books, instruments, local art, and records.
Little ones are some of our favorites to shop for. If you’re looking for truly unique holiday gifts for kids, look no further.
- Mochi Kids – Mochi Kids offers adorable, unisex clothes for kids so they can express themselves and wear what they want. Their screen printed tees are playfully designed, eye-catching, and fun.
- The Children’s Hour – This adorable boutique is filled with high-quality clothes, accessories, and books for kids that they are sure to love. Here, everything is handpicked and beautifully made.
- Teton Toys – Teton Toys is a specialty toy store with an amazing selection of toys to inspire imagination and play. Stop by one of their locations for puzzles, educational toys, and classic style toys made of wood.
- Bennett Co. – This Utah based company sells pacifiers, clips, teethers, and toys for the littlest kids in your life. The design and colors are something every parent and baby will love.
Sometimes John Keats is right and “a thing of beauty is a joy forever.” Even though flowers don’t last as long as we wish they would, their beauty highlights those special occasions and perfect moments with the people we love that we will remember forever.
- Especially For You – Get custom designed floral arrangements, plants, and orchids for your flower lover from this florist in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City. Find something truly unique at Especially For You.
- Petal Coop – The Petal Coop has a mobile flower truck and store front flower shop they call a “flower bar” in The Maven District. They do flower delivery, classes, bouquets, and centerpieces, and the owner, Natalie, is a gem of a person. Stop in to say hello and pick up flowers in person if you can.
- Native Flower Company – Find locally grown flowers here when they are in season and a variety of arrangements for every type of celebration.
- Twigs Flower Company – Twigs is offering free local delivery for online orders within their delivery area right now and always has meaningful flowers, plants, and gifts to choose from.
- The Art Floral – Choose from beautiful arrangements by leading floral designers or sign your loved one up for a flower subscription service!
These days, we are all trying to live more intentionally and waste less. If you’d like to focus your gifts on sustainability, are looking for ways to buy sustainable ingredients for homemade gifts, or have a friend who would appreciate a more mindful gift, these are the options for you.
- Animalia – Animalia offers a bulk refill dispensary, food waste collection, and sells sustainable beauty products and home goods. In store you will find vintage clothes and ceramics and jewelry by local artists. It’s a shop built to foster community and the perfect place to find something truly unique without sacrificing the environment.
- Hello! Bulk Markets – Bring in your own bags, jars, and bottles to this package free store where you can find food items as well as bath and body care. Trying DIY gifts this year? This is the perfect place to pickup ingredients as well as bottles and bags for whatever you’re creating.
Plants and Home:
Help someone make home the perfect place to be with greenery and decor from one of these great local stores.
- Thyme and Place – Stop here for indoor plants, containers, and workshops in a welcoming (and very green) boutique.
- Glass House – Globally sourced, beautiful home brands can be found at Glass House. Step up your style and interior design with this local shop.
- Paradise Palm – Help someone start their own jungle with the amazing tropical plants at Paradise Palm or gift them a bonsai.
- Western Garden Centers – Find everything the gardner in your life could wish for at Western Garden Centers where they specialize in what flourishes along the Wasatch Front.
For the Occultist, Witch, or Crystal Enthusiast:
Alternative spirituality is thriving in Utah and there are a variety of shops that offer everything you’re looking for on the path, no matter what the focus is.
- Crone’s Hollow – Find magic and possibility at Crone’s Hollow. Talk to their experienced staff for resources and gift ideas or book a psychic reading.
- Lotus – Located near Ikea in Draper, Lotus has one of the best crystal selections in the state. Stop by for gemstones, art, tarot and oracle decks, crystal books, and even rocks from right here in Utah.
- Purring Buddha, Greenthread Herbs, and Golden Braid Books all offer tools of the craft and spiritual resources and are included in other sections of this guide as well.
Health is so important these days (and always) and feeding our mind, body, and spirit is crucial to our overall health. Find the perfect gift to help someone build a foundation of health and vitality at either of these stores.
- Urban Hemp and Cannabis Co – Offering a variety of CBD oils, balms, tinctures, and gummies, you can find exactly what you need at one of their two locations.
- Greenthread Herbs – This amazing apothecary in The Avenues neighborhood of Salt Lake City offers tinctures, teas, balms, and oils handcrafted and formulated by an experienced herbalist. With a wall of ethically sourced herbs to choose from, they will do custom tea blends for however you or your loved one needs support.
Experiences over Things:
Sometimes the best gift isn’t an item, but an experience that your person will remember forever. Below are some of our best ideas that support the local community while offering a chance for an adventure or education.
- Book a jewelry making class at B Golden Jewelry School or Simple Elegance Rock Shop.
- Support Salt Lake Film Society and purchase movie tickets at Broadway Centre Cinemas or The Tower.
- Visit museums, gardens and art galleries like The Leonardo, UMFA, or Red Butte Garden. Make it more than a one-time thing and purchase a pass instead of a single use ticket!
- Take a ballroom dance class with Love. Live. Dance.
- Book a rafting trip with Holiday River Expeditions.
- Schedule a cooking class with Salt Lake Culinary Education or Harmon’s.
- Pick up concert tickets at local venues like the State Room and Kilby Court.
- Have a holiday date with the Utah Symphony this month.
- Get ski or snowboard passes to Alta, Brighton, or Snowbird.
- Plan a trip to the Utah desert
- Stop by Acoustic Music for a guitar and buy lessons from a local teacher for your loved one’s new hobby.
- Find local places to volunteer or donate this season like Encircle, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah, or the Utah Food Bank.
Markets to check out:
Some of the best gifts you can buy will be made by local artists showing at markets this month. You can’t miss them.
- UMFA Holiday Market (December 4th and 5th)
- Park Silly Holiday Market (December 3rd-5th in Sandy and 10th-12th in Park City)
- Daybreak Winter Market (December 10th and 11th)
- Christkindlmarkt (December 1st-4th)
- Alta Holiday Art Market (December 9th-11th)
- Vintage and Craft Holiday Market by Preservation Utah (December 4th)
Happy Holiday Shopping!
Whatever you’re looking for this season for yourself or your loved ones, you can find exactly what you’ve been searching for when shopping local. So much care goes into the high-quality goods produced right in your neighborhood. Don’t pass up this chance to support the local community that sustains you and have a very HAPPY HOLIDAY!